Revised language for "Gathering Feedback" section of online teaching recommendations

Current recommendations text:

At in-person workshops, we use sticky notes for getting feedback after each module. The Carpentries offers a Google Form template for this purpose. If choosing an alternative, the key elements of this are:

• Respondent anonymity
  • Classifying feedback as positive/negative (or learned/question or keep/change etc)
  • Prompt and collaborative review by the instructional team
  • Addressing concerns at the start of the next session

Suggested new text:

At in-person workshops, we use sticky notes for getting feedback before lunch and at the end of each day. These are called “minute cards”. For online workshops, we offer a Google Form minute cards template. You must create a new copy of the Google Form for each time you will collect minute cards. One member of the instructional team should copy responses into the Etherpad and the active Instructor should address concerns at the start of the next session.

Also recommended to change template questions to:

1. What went well?
  2. What could be improved?
  3. If you had any technical questions or software issues, please describe.
3 Likes

I like the template questions as they are now. If you want to incorporate the recommended changes the questions could perhaps be formulated as follows.

Green:

• Write one thing you learned in the previous session that you found useful.
  • Write one thing that went well or that you really liked about the previous session.

Red:

• Write one question you still have about the material covered today or one thing that was confusing or could do with a bit more explanation.
  • Write one suggestion to improve this workshop.
1 Like

This is slightly off-topic but someone brought to my attention an online sticky notes website: https://pinup.com/view/. I have not tried it myself and am not sure if notes can be extracted in some useable format (or just an image) but here it is for people to explore (it may be more fun for participants and resemble the in-person workshop a bit more) - here is an example: https://pinup.com/FUkRWIdLL

I don’t typically share minute-card feedback with the class – I’ll observe on one or two comments in response to them, but only for one-up-one-down do I usually write things in the Etherpad. I don’t feel strongly about this, but just wondering what folks think about “should” vs “can” on copying minute cards to the Etherpad?

If sharing publicly, agree that pinup is a more efficient/cuter tool for this. I think that visibility is the main reason I haven’t tried it yet.

I like Aleks’ suggested wording but, to focus on the learner’s experience, I would change “one thing that was confusing or could do with a bit more explanation” to “one thing you were confused by or would like a bit more explanation of.”

Toby’s suggestion sounds better - shorter, more compact and to the point :+1:.

Hi, Like anenadic, I prefer brevity. How about something like: “one thing for which you’d like more explanation” - removing “confused”?

2 Likes