Notes: tools, tips, and applications

Everyone uses notes differently, even at in-person workshops. There are also many different kinds of notes, from collaborative (learner or helper writes) to embedded in tutorial (e.g. Rmarkdown), and some export their code for learner reference.

I know using the actual lesson pages as part of teaching aids/tools is not traditionally used during a workshop, but I was wondering about using Hypothesis as a collaborative/interactive tool during synchronous workshops to assist teaching. I would love to hear your thoughts?

I like Google Docs for the low barrier to entry/cognitive overload, but it does take more screen real estate (so use with caution).

I’ve been very surprised at how few of my intermediate learners know about Rmd (!), so throwing that into a workshop as a platform that people know how to use and debug is risky.

I know using the actual lesson pages as part of teaching aids/tools is not traditionally used during a workshop, but I was wondering about using Hypothesis as a collaborative/interactive tool during synchronous workshops to assist teaching.

I’d be worried about screen real estate in this context, so maybe for breakout tasks, but not during the coding?

I’d love a collaborative code editing platform like what you apparently used to be able to do with Google Colab, but can’t anymore :sob:.