Live Coding vs...? The small screen challenge

The need to use a learner’s screen to display the Instructor’s screen will shrink the area available for a learner to code while watching.

One alternative is to change to an “I do/You do” model, with frequent pauses for learners to try coding on their own. However, this will substantially slow a workshop.

What is the best way to enable learners to actively participate in coding using existing Carpentries curricula in a synchronous online workshop?

An option for at least some people might be to have learners join zoom on a mobile device (esp if they have a tablet) and run the code on their computer. This relies on people having a zoom-capable mobile device and internet access for both devices.

with a helper dedicated to putting long strings of text into the shared notes (which learners are encouraged to open on their computer, not mobile) this could work.

this workflow also is better if the zoom chat is not used and instead all chat is in the shared notes (can use the actual chat in addition to the shared notes space)

(I tested the part of zoom on mobile, shared doc on computer for all of the mozilla open leaders program, because sound on my computer didn’t work)

3 Likes

Work in a 1/2 screen mode, both as presenter and as learner. I tested Jupyter Notebooks and RStudio (using Rmarkown, with images displayed inline and some custom knitr options, only console and code visible) and ran training where I made sure my coding only took up 1/2 of the screen, and told learners how to set it up if there were working on a single machine. Doing unix from the terminal is much easier on screen real estate than these two IDEs.

*I made sure I showed learners screenshots of the “recommended” configurations I came up with at the beginning of the live coding section.

An option for at least some people might be to have learners join zoom on a mobile device (esp if they have a tablet) and run the code on their computer. This relies on people having a zoom-capable mobile device and internet access for both devices.

I did encourage 2nd screens and logging in from mobile, BUT there were quite a few people who didn’t have a suitable devices, so this was helpful but not 100% a solution to the problem

this workflow also is better if the zoom chat is not used and instead all chat is in the shared notes (can use the actual chat in addition to the shared notes space)

We tried to use the google doc for questions, but learners quickly balked, as they didn’t like having to switch between SO MANY different apps :disappointed:

2 Likes